Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Visual social media course


Hello dear friends,
I hope you are all well Oh my giddy aunt it has been a month since my last post. I have just returned from a four day break in Dorset . Honestly, there is nothing quite as invigorating than a few days beside the sea. What is it about that moment we see the sea and that little inner child rears it head. I can not swim, I am terrified of the sea, but every time I see the sea I long to strip off and run into it. We had gentle days of crab fishing, strolling along the beach , enjoying beautiful seafood and loads of laughter. I love Dorset.
 
 I am in a happier place .Recently, I have been feeling (a little bit too regularly )that I just want to run away. I have been feeling out of control.  I'm struggling with blogging and creating a social media presence.
 
When you work on your own It's  really easy to get stuck in one way of thinking, one way of doing things and whilst these things work ,I felt something was missing. Those little ruts that we keep ourselves in can be comforting but when you poke your head over the edge, I'm not sure I like the view.
 
I have been on insta for awhile .I used it primarily as an online diary of my weight loss, rather than write down my food in my diary taking a photo was so much easier and it helped me lose 2 stones. I love insta and suddenly a new world has opened up. A picture paints a thousand words and I found my pictures really could do with some work.
 
It was here that I  first found Emily on instagram. I am a huge fan of her work. Her feed brightened up my day. Any one of her photos make me feel so happy. She has a great gift. I knew then that I wanted to start having photos on my feed and blog that made me feel a little of what I feel when I visit Emily.
 
 I  have always been a great believer in  the importance of continuing to learn, to challenge yourself with new things. With that in mind  I signed up for an online course with the fabulous Emily Quinton. 
 
 
 
 
 
.





 
Not bad eh??I am not going to lie  I struggled .I struggled with the idea that pictures should tell a story. I struggled with that idea a lot ,I didn't feel I could take those contrived photos. You know what I mean the ones where everything is perfect, loads of expensive props and very arty. It requires a lot of planning and I felt that in my already hectic life how on earth was I ever going to find the time to 'set a scene'. However, after a few times of doing it, It is beginning to feel a bit easier.

 I've decide that not every picture has to be complicated . I am a less is more type of person and that is what I will do but  always with emilys pointers running through my head. I  have left the course inspired that you can have a creative life that also has focus and balance . It has ignited passion.

 I find myself taking photos of everything, every single day.In fact my family are beginning to get a bit annoyed as I  often stop mid conversation as I notice a beautiful thing. The main thing I have learnt is the importance of natural light. I now understand the spots in my home that have it. It is such fun ,so much so I have enrolled on another course. So thank you Emily.
 
 





 It is such fun ,so much so I have enrolled on another course. So thank you Emily. Please do check out The Makelight studio , If online isn't the thing for you she also runs one day workshops. Thank you so much Emily
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying Instagram so much. Your photos are lovely. I'm sort of a sporadic IG user, but it can be a lot of fun. I hope you're feeling more like yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great course, I was certainly impressed with your beautiful photos. The yarn is a particular delight. I know what you mean about the sea, even though I live right near the beach I still have that childish urge to run into it, long may that last. Hope you are back to your old self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are lovely. I've never signed up for Instagram, it takes me all my time to keep up with my blog as it is. Hope you're feeling a little better after your time away in Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is surprising what a difference a bit of styling makes to pictures isn't it. Enjoy your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing great with your photography. I am strictly a blogger, no instagram although I feel everyone else is. I love a photo but also a great story. Great job on the weight loss!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying to frame the perfect picture is sometimes difficult. On my blog if I want to show something I'm making, it is almost always draped over the pouffe (you've probably noticed) It must be nice to learn how to set up the scene and make the picture more interesting and I can see you're doing a great job. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete