Saturday, December 02, 2006
sometimes it just has to be chocolate
by Gary Rhodes
from Gary Rhodes' New British Classics
from New British Classics
Makes one 20cm/8in cake
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
For the sponges
175g/6oz plain flour
50g/2oz cocoa powder
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp black treacle
2 free-range eggs
75g/3oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
150ml/5fl oz vegetable oil
For the chocolate filling
175g/6oz plain or milk chocolate, chopped
80ml/3fl oz double cream
For the cream filling
150ml/5fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add all the other sponge ingredients and whisk to a smooth consistency.
3. Divide the mix between two 20cm/8in lined sandwich cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
4. Once cooked, and just becoming firm, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes before turning out and cooling on wire racks.
5. To make the filling, melt the chopped chocolate with the double cream in a bowl over a pan of warm water. Once melted, add the butter and remove from the heat.
6. As this mix cools it will also thicken. It can now be spread onto the base sponge, before being topped with the lightly whipped cream and then the remaining sponge. The chocolate treacle sponge is ready to serve.